On October 21, 2021, the Congressional Social Determinants of Health Caucus held its first briefing event to highlight best practices and innovative models related to transportation as a social determinant of health.
The webinar featured remarks from Caucus Members Representatives Cheri Bustos (D-IL), Markwayne Mullin (R-OK), and Salud Carbajal (D-CA). Aligning for Health Co-Chair Krista Drobac moderated the event. The briefing also featured remarks from panelists from across sectors on best practices and models around transportation that are working to address social needs, what is needed to enhance or replicate those models, and what Congress can do to accelerate this work and address transportation barriers to improve health outcomes for all.
Guest Panelists included:
- Jeffrey Nelson, Chair, American Public Transportation Association, and CEO/Managing Director, Rock Island County Mass Transit District, Moline, IL
- Edward P. Ehlinger, MD, MSPH, Past President of ASTHO and former Minnesota State Health Commissioner
- Nebeyou Abebe, Senior Vice President of Social Determinants of Health, Highmark Health
- Kathy Chan, Director of Policy, Cook County Health
- Krista Drobac, Co-Chair, Aligning for Health (moderator)
A recording of the webinar can be found here.